Friday, January 17, 2020

My Thoughts On Growth Mindset

I had never heard of Carol Dweck or growth mindset before. However, I really enjoyed those videos and share a lot of the same points of view as her. In my opinion, this generation and a lot of young adults and kids today have a fixed mindset. When they come across things that they do not know or that challenge them, they just freeze. It is like they don't know what to. They have some kind of mental block for things that challenge them in any way and I believe this has a lot to do with the way that parents raise their kids nowadays.

I see myself as having a growth mindset when it comes to just about anything in life. When it comes to school, I want to take that hard class that is going to challenge me and where I know that I will learn something and further my knowledge. I do not see the point in paying money for a class that is going to be a breeze because I know everything. What is the point in that? Well to me, it is a waste of my time when I do that because I am not getting anything out of the class nor am I getting any better. Like I said, I believe that the kind of mindset people have has to do greatly with how they grew and how they were raised. My parents were very hard on me growing up and always pushing me to be the best that I could be at everything and to not stop until I was. With that being said, I am not the best at everything I do, but that's the goal that I set for myself every time and I aspire to get as close to that goal as I possibly can. I work a full-time job while going to school full time and at times this can be very challenging because I feel like there are not enough hours in a day for me to do everything that I need to and still have time to rest and get some sleep. When this challenge came along tho, I had to figure out how to fix it and I learned all about time management. The way that I live my life is very different than how I see most kids nowadays living their life. If I come across a challenge or something that I do not know, it makes me excited because I see that as an opportunity to get better and to learn. I will not stop until I conquer that challenge and figure it out, but I feel like most kids just see that as, "Oh I don't know how to do this so I am just not going to do it and move on." That's the difference between having that growth mindset where you always want to learn something new and having a fixed mindset.

Watercolor Drawing of a brain lifting weights to symbolize growth mindset:
Source: Flickr


Now knowing that growth mindset is a thing, I would like to do more research on it and learn all about it. I have not yet read articles that critique Carol Dweck's growth mindset theory, but that is something I will be doing in the near future as I found this very interesting.
Graphic of growth mindset with vivid colors and fixed mindset with dull colors;
Source: Flickr

1 comment:

  1. I think the problem with many of today's youth maintaining a fixed mindset is a fear of the unknown. They're afraid of trying something, investing their valuable time and resources, only to be met with complete and utter failure. At least, that's what it initially appears like. However, as we've learned, many experiences that we undertake help us to grow and better ourselves in the process. It is this growth mindset that enables us to grow from experiences and better ourselves along the way.

    ReplyDelete