Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Washington DC and Siesta Key are My Favorite Places

It is so hard to just pick one favorite place when I have so many, so I went with my top two favorite places. 

My absolute favorite place is Siesta Key, Florida. I went with my family for our summer vacation. We decided to go here because it was rated the best beach in the US at the time. I love being on the beach and getting to just lay in the sun and tan while taking in the beautiful views of the ocean. The sand was pearly white and it was so soft. We have been to many beaches, but out of all of them, this was definitely the beach with the softest sand. Overall Siesta Key was such a beautiful place that I probably would not know of had I not seen the TV series "Siesta Key" on MTV.

Most of our vacation was spent at Siesta Beach, which was the main beach. On our fourth day, we decided to go to Turtle Beach to view the sunset. It was such a beautiful view. The picture does not even do it justice. I love being able to watch the sunset as the gulf breeze hits my face. To me, being on the beach is the happiest place on earth and nothing makes more content. 

 (image information: Personal photo of a Siesta Key Sunset;
Photo from July 2019)

The water was also very clear. It was nice and cold so after laying in the sun for a while it felt good to get in the water and cool down for a bit. The way the water looks when the sun hits the water is breathtaking. The whole week we were there I was in my happy place. 


   (image information: Personal photo of a Siesta Key Sunset;
Photo from July 2019) 


My second favorite Place is Washington DC. Over Christmas break, we spent some time in Virginia seeing family for the holidays and they live very close to DC. We went to downtown DC many times because there is so much to see and sadly we did not even get to see it all. The first things we saw were the monuments: The Washington Monument, The Lincoln Memorial, and The National World War II Memorial. We went in the evening and they are so much prettier at night because of how they are all lit up. The next day we went to see several museums including The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History and The National Museum of American History. These were so fun to visit especially for someone like me who is a big history nerd. The National Museum of American History was my favorite. They had a section that was all about the white house and all of our presidents and it was so unique. I got to see all of the dresses that the First Ladies wore at the Presidential Inauguration. They also had many cool videos with interesting facts about all of our Presidents. I plan on going back to DC sometime soon to visit the rest of the monuments and museums that we were unable to visit due to time restraint. If you have not been here I absolutely recommend going at least once. You won't regret it.  

(image information: Personal photo of the Washington Monument:
Photo from December 2019)

Lincoln sitting in his chair at the Lincoln Memorial 
in Washington DC. Source: Flickr


1 comment:

  1. Oh, just the name Siesta Key is irresistible, Gabby! (I'm writing this on Friday afternoon at the end of a long week... I'm so ready for a siesta, with or without a beautiful sunset and beach view, ha ha. And Washington DC is so much fun to visit! Maybe you might want to do a President- or White-House-inspired project for this class. Just like urban legends which are sometimes true, sometimes not, there are presidential legends. The urban legends Snopes.com even tracks historical legends like that too! Here's the Snopes section of History Fact Checks; lots of cool stories here, some true, some not-to.

    ReplyDelete